Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Happy Birthday Pops...

Today is my dad's (technically stepdad's) birthday. There might not be a luckier little girl in the world as me. I always tell people that I have two dads. Thankfully, both of them get along like champs. And my real dad has thanked Pops several times for loving me and raising me the way that he did. That has been such a great gift to me. Both of them EVEN walked me down the aisle together.
Anyway...today is his special day. He is fifty something, but not quite sixty. He is probably the most hard working person I know (maybe besides Hubs). His heart...pure gold. His voice so soft and wise, but strong if absolutely necessary. Ask him how many times he disciplined me if you have the chance...the answer...exactly 1/2. I was so broken hearted that he was even having to talk to me about something that I told him to stop and leave me alone. He knew he made his point and it never happened again. :)
I have so many memories. I can't even list them all. I have two favorite to this very day. Each and every Sunday after church, Pops and I would run into the house and change our clothes real quick. We would play and play and play basketball in the driveway for as long as we could get away with it (Sunday was cleaning day ya know :). We truly enjoyed being together...we were best buds. Another favorite...as a young kiddo, I would holler for Pops after I had gone to bed. I would tell him that I wanted my back scratched and he would sit by my bed forever and scratch my back. The catch...he was so tired himself that he would start nodding off to sleep. So, I would jerk or move or something to wake him up and he would keep going. God love him...
Cause I sure do.
Happy birthday Pops...you are incredible. We will always be the best of buds. I love you! (and...you are an incredible grandfather....but I just wanted to write about us! :)

3 comments:

Life with the Williams' Family said...

YOu should be a writer (and a photographer, etc)_ what CAN'T you do girl?? so eloquent--I loved reading that--it brought tears to my eyes :) we will miss trick or treating w/your clan this year :( and miss yoU! :) call me some time when you can talk :)

Unknown said...

Your sweet loving heart has so eloquently described Pop's. Thank you for loving him! God is sharing him with us and we are so very grateful. He is a blessing to our lives and I thank you for recognizing this gift!

Love,
Mom

Britton said...

I have a memory that doesn't really involve your dad but is about him...I think you know which one! Remember when we told Charlie that your "stepdad" was actually my real dad? He totally believed us too because of the red hair! I have so many wonderful memmories of being with your family. I don't say it as well as you do but your dad truly is an amazing man! Send him all my love and tell him I said Happy Birthday too!

Love,
Britton